Brakes

If your Mustang has sat for a really long time or if you swapped rear ends from another car it's best to check the rear brakes condition and road worthiness.

The rear end in my car is from a 1992 GT mustang. This car has been sitting for many years, so I popped off the rear drums and inspected them.

It's a good thing I did. Here is what I found.


Upon closer inspection the both wheel cylinder seals on both sides of the car were dry rotted. This meant tearing the whole system apart and since I was doing that it seemed logical to replace everything. 






On one side a brake bad was cracked


While I was inside and had things apart I decided to clean some parts up and add high temp paint. 








Now putting things together can be tricky on the last spring, but I have a tick to help out with that.





The last piece is the adjuster stop and it has a tendency to pop out when trying to install the last spring. My cure for this is to take a 1/4 inch socket out of a 1/4 inch drive socket set and shove it the hole that the stop is hooked in this will hold the piece from popping out as you work on getting the last spring hooked on it. 




Since I have much wider and bigger wheels than I had from factory now. I grabbed these park brake cable guide brackets off a newer mustang in the junkyard. I cleaned them up and Plasticoat dipped them. 


I have no glass or interior in the car right now, so she is riding a little high. 


I was already going into the rear of this car since this is what was left of my original park brake. 


I now have a functional park brake. 

Here is the latest I finished the brake bleeding. It has been a really long time since I moved the car. I looked at the brake fluid and saw that the fluid looked like Mississippi Mud water. Used my evacuater to remove all fluid out of the master cylinder. 



This bracket is from a much newer Mustang I found in the jumk yard. I adapted it to suit my needs.

I found an issue with turning hard right. The Russel brake line would touch the 17x9 wheels.

I came up with an idea to utilize a hole from factory and make a bracket. Here is what I have came up with so far. I will wrap the brake line with a piece of fuel line to add protection. Blacksmith for the Mustang lol












No comments:

Post a Comment