- HOME PAGE
- Blog Owner Bio
- Convert 4 cylinder Mustang to V8
- 1979 Ford Mustang 4 cylinder to V8 Brake conversio...
- Mustang Parts Car Demolition
- Mustang Parts Car Demolition Continued
- Mustang Radiator Core Support Removal and Installation
- Painting Engine Compartment
- Bro's 1988 GT Mustang
- Mustang Engine Work
- Mustang Roof and Rear Quarters sectioning
- Mustang Floor Pan Replacement
- Mustang UNDERCOATING
- Bend fuel line like a pro
- Rear Seat and Trunk Patching and Repair
- Time Lapse Vids
- 1G to 3G Alternator Conversion
- Subframe Connector Install
- Power Steering Cooler for Autocross Competitions
- Plastic Welding Dash Repair
Saturday, October 28, 2017
1979 Ford Mustang Trunk Lock Replacement
There are differences between a 1979 ford mustang trunk or hatch lock than later generations of the Fox body Mustangs.
Regardless of what people tell you on eBay or any parts store. Most these people are going off of what a vender is telling them or supplied information from an alternate source. I will tell you that you will need to make modifications to the lock in order to make it work if it's a re-manufactured part.
If you can find OEM you'll have less time invested.
This is the lock retaining clip later mustangs don't have. I am making a new gasket for it.
The dirty Lock is the original for the hatch. You can see there are some differences and modifications will be required to make the new lock work with retaining clip.
Additional differences found
Here you can see missing machining needed for the retaining clip to be used.
I will fix this manually, because I don't have faith in finding anything different and for some reason most of the salvage yards I have dealt with in Wisconsin have smashed the early Fox body Mustangs treating them like they are a dime a dozen. Ignorance is bliss.
This is where an air file pays for itself. These little fabrication jobs would be time consuming without this tool.
Harbor Freight sells them cheap and they work awesome.
Wrapped tape around to reduce chance of debris in lock.
Match that gap was the goal and it was success.
Air file worth it's weight in gold.
Test fitting the retaining clip.
Side by side comparison
More Machining to match original.
Retaining clip is pop riveted in place. That should be your last step.