Wednesday, October 11, 2017

How to Reset a Foxbody Mustang Odometer back to Zero Miles

This is shockingly easy to do. If you have an early Foxbody Mustang and you get tired of burying the odometer's pathetic 85 MPH odometer in third gear when you have two remaining, well I have the solution for you.

Lets say you overhauled your mustang and I mean it's completely brand new from your restoration and modifications then this post is also for you.

A couple years back I got fed up with the Speedometer I had, so I went on a hunt for economical upgrade certified by Ford. 1982 was the first year for the Police Interceptor Mustang and I found what I was looking for in a salvage yard out in San Jose, California. 1982 was also the first year for the Ford 302 HO(High Output) V8 motor. The Ford Mustang's first Police Package included 140 mph speedometer. This car was marketed to be the car to chase the exotic imports that were out running the police in California.

San Jose, California had the biggest order of Police Interceptor Mustangs. I happen to have found a gauge cluster from one of them for $60.00, which is a steal of a deal, I am resetting the miles back to ZERO. Everything has been rebuilt in the car. I have Hobbyist Plates installed and the ODOMETER is EXEMPT due to it's year. Believe it or not my car before I started the rust removal only had 112,841 miles on it and since it was originally vinned as a 4 cylinder Mustang who really cares. No true collector value.  The car has been radically changed. Before starting this I express using caution on touching the face of the Odometer. You may inadvertently mark it, so take great care.

Cluster came with 59,579 miles on it.

All that needs to be done is this pin needs to be very carefully tapped out. This is tapped in from one direction and will need to exit the way it came in. 
From view point below it needs to go to out to the right.

Once the pin is pulled you can easily rotate the Miles back to Zeros

When reinstalling the pins with the gears it will appear as seen below. All you need to do is hook up a drill and walk the odometer forward till it Zeros out. 

Now all you do is reassemble and install. 

If you are not installing in your original year mustang be sure to swap the power ribbon or you will have an electrical fire. 

The 1979 Mustang has a unique wire harness only used that year and requires power ribbon from a 1979 Gauge Cluster to be installed. 1979 was a year of another oil crisis and all mustangs that year only came equipped with the 85 mph speedometer. Where is the fun in that.

This may not be an original Police Interceptor Mustang, but it will chase Porches Again...

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Taylor Battery Box Install

To install the Taylor Battery Box you need to start with dropping the fuel tank. Take care in doing this and it's best to drive the car till your almost out of fuel to reduce weight of tank and difficulty maneuvering. 

After this you will layout the base to where you want it Mark the spot. and drill the whole for the 3/8 threaded rod. Now their kit does not provide lock washers, which was shocked to find out so I went ahead and added them. To avoid damaging paint apply tape over drilling area and mark your points on tape then Drill center guide hole with 1/8th inch drill bit then follow with the 3/8ths drill bit for a perfect spot on whole placement. 

Next step to figure out how much excess to cut. Mount and tight 3/8 rod. to floor 

Install lid and make your markings. Cut excessive rod length with a saw saw

Next step is to remove rods but keep and mark tray pan upper nut and remove washers and nuts from rod on the bottom side to keep things accurate.

After cutting use a hand file to even the edges and clean things up. 

Reinstall Rods and start assenbling the box.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Fixing Copper Header Gasket Leak

All that's left after our valvetrain update is to reattach the H-pipe.

I use a performance copper reusable header gasket for my large port header pipes.
I was noticing a sealing issue. To resolve that issue I cut slits in the header allowing for a tighter fit rather than spending a fortune trying to machine the header to head contact surface. Separating the ports allows you to create a tighter fit. I ran a saw saw through twice and as you can see it left a nice gap and a tighter fit when bolting down.